Thursday, August 27, 2009

Today is your day - KINDERGARTEN

The first day of kindergarten finally arrived for Abraham. He has been really excited to go to school. He wanted to ride the bus the first day (but of course I met him at the school so I could see him off and make sure he made it safely).

Hannah is a helpful big sister to teach him all she knows about Kindergarten and lining up with the class outside the door, etc. It does make me feel less nervous to know she'll ride the bus with him to school.

Abe is one of the tallest kindergarteners (see photo!) so hopefully he'll hold his own. He loved riding the kindergarten bus home all by himself - with no seatbelts!

I don't know if it's the difference between boys and girls or just personalities, but Abe was less verbally expressive about being nervous on his first day. Abe mostly acted excited. He's a pretty friendly kid and seemed to have fun playing on the playground before school.

As for this mama, I think I am less emotional when I don't sense anxiety from my kids. I only had to hold back a few minor tears on my drive home with Max. I'm really excited for Abe and think he'll really enjoy the sociality of school. I hope he enjoys the reading and writing part as well!

Abe said his favorite part of school was when Mrs. Wright read the rhyming stories.

So overall ... seems like a great first day of school! We sure love Abe and wish him the greatest success in Kindergarten ... and beyond.

Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
by Dr. Seuss

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go. ...

Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights. ...

Oh, the places you’ll go! There is fun to be done! ...

Kid, you’ll move mountains!
So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea,
you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!

Just don't grow up too fast Mr. Abraham, because I'll miss ya when you're grown up and too big to snuggle on my lap.

4 comments:

Cheri said...

Yea Abe! (I just love the picture of Hannah with her arm around Abe. She's so confident!)

Alison said...

So cute! Can you believe our sweet boys are so old and grown up on their way to Kindergarten? Even though Porter is my 3rd child off to kindergarten I still got that same lump in my throat watching him walk through those big red doors into the school. Abe looks so handsome in his glasses. What a good, good boy! Cute post for his first day of school.

Jolene said...

Heidi keeps begging me to let her take the bus. I am not sure if there is one that would take her because we live so close. Even if she could I would be nervous about it. I like taking her and picking her up that way I know she made it to school. Am I a paranoid parent or what?
Glad Abe a good first day of Kindergarten. It can be intimidating.

Katie said...

You made me cry! For some reason, I'm still having a hard time with Josh in kindergarten. I wonder if I'll be okay with it by the end of the year??? I always love reading your blog, you have so many good quotes, and such good insight. Thanks for sharing!