Sunday, January 10, 2010

2010 - One Little Word


The word I want to focus on this year is LIGHT.

See the Light (be positive with self and family and life)

Discover the Light (personal Scripture Study and Spiritual uplift)

Share the Light (help set the mood in our home so the Holy Ghost can dwell here ... teach my children about the LIGHT of the Gospel of Christ)

Celebrate the light (enjoy simple moments and glimpses of eternity)

Enjoy the sunLIGHT (get outside to exercise and enjoy outside family adventures)

Be a LIGHT (serve happily especially at home)


I'm lovin' this word for me this year. I need it! I need to be positive. I need to find energy in good things (if that makes any sense).

In the past 10 days I've tried to focus on LIGHT and being positive ~ and man ~ it's hard. I've decided sleep really helps me see the LIGHT. Please send some good restful sleep!

I see glimpses ... good things... happy things ... light in eyes ... happy hearts ... I just need to REALLY SEEK IT.

Some resources I love about ONE LITTLE WORD:

Ali Edwards - the scrapbooker gal I originally got the idea from last year.

Word-of-the-Year Discovery Tool Worksheet: Great little 'Action' activity to get you thinking about why you picked your one little word.

Sherrie Johnson's post about why she loves picking one word instead of making resolutions. I love this especially:
New beginnings don’t have to be measured in years. At one point in Paul’s teachings, he tells the Corinthians, “Though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day” (2 Corinthians 4:16). In other words, our bodies might be growing older and becoming weaker, but our inward being, our spirits, are renewed daily through Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost.

That is one reason I like having a word for the year instead of goal resolutions. My word is not something that is kept or broken like a goal; it just floats with me in whatever I am doing. If I am cleaning house, I’m thinking rejuvenate—do it better than ever before. If I am studying, I’m thinking rejuvenate my studies—have more enthusiasm and excitement in my study. If I am with an old friend, I’m thinking rejuvenate my friendship—don’t take friendship for granted but cherish it.
Instead of feeling like something extra to do, my word resolution enhances and invigorates everything I am already doing. In this way I help the natural process of letting the Spirit renew me day by day by day without getting discouraged or being tempted to give up. I love it! (Sherrie Johnson)
Did any of you pick a word this year? What did you go with?

2 comments:

Jenni Taysom said...

That is an excellent word - I really like that verse in D&C about light. I should try doing that worksheet to see if it helps me with my word, so far I've been thinking about "consistency" as my word since it is the attribute I need most right now, but I don't know if that is a positive enough word to keep me focused and motivated.

Laura said...

That's a really good idea. I wrote a whole bunch of resolutions, but lately I've decided to have way lower expectations of myself. I want to have a year to be home and enjoy my kids and not much else. I need to think of a word for that.