Sunday, May 10, 2009

Imagine

Imagine the earth before electricity.

No bright street lights. No bright car lights.

Just fire on earth and stars in the sky. I like going to the mountains at night because of the bazillions of tiny lights in the sky.

Not that I want life without electricity ... there are so many conveniences I do enjoy. And all these lights helps me feel safer somehow.

But just imagine how simple and quiet life was before tv and bright computer screens and movie theaters. Makes me want to go unplugged for a while to calm and quiet life down.

I once read "Plain and Simple: A Woman's Journey to the Amish" by Sue Bender. It was interesting and thought-provoking to read her experiences and lessons learned about simplicity and slowing down.

I've also heard 'In Praise of Slowness' by Carl Honore was an interesting read (save a chapter or two).

I opened the window tonight to let fresh air in (REJOICE in low-humidity springtime in Utah), and a million simple memories came to mind of times when I sat on my back porch as a younger Heather pondering life. The cool nighttime breeze reminded me of moments around a campfire or evening walks-n-talks with friends after mutual. And it made me want to sit outside and just ENJOY and BREATHE and SMILE and Relax and watch the sunset and moon-rise.

When I was in Provo working in 1997.  I must have felt the rush-rush of my job, scheduling appointments and travel, and LIFE one day. I came with this thought that explained it all for me at the time.

Little did I realize that soon I'd live in a bigger city in Florida with even more rush-rush and traffic and busy people and craziness.

And even though in many ways, my life now in Lehi is slower-paced (go 25 mph!!), it is easy to become too busy with all of life's demands. That brief inspirational thought of stopping to refocus and REMEMBER reminded me to BREATHE & SMILE and calm down occasionally ... something I need to do more often now-a-days.

Anyhoo... Just makes me want to slow down and
enjoy family,
enjoy a cool breeze,
enjoy listening to the tots laugh in all their imaginery play,
enjoy the view of the mountains,
enjoy the GREEN and color around me in springtime,
enjoy the stillness of quiet moments (as brief as they are!),
enjoy a calm peaceful song,
enjoy the night sky with twinkling lights,
and just sit and enjoy breathing and being alive.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Happy Mother's Day Heather! You are one of the very best, and I always love being inspired by your thoughts. LOVE YOU.

Julie said...

Simple is good. I'm trying to slow things down and it feels like I don't have much control. :)