Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Johann Chrysostom Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Today marks the 253rd Birthday of Mozart.

He was born on 27 January 1756 and died of an unknown illness on 5 December 1791.

He composed over six hundred works with his first composition at age 5. What a guy!!. {found on Wikipedia}

I've always been a big fan of classical music, especially to play on the piano. I never could do homework to classical music because my brain would start analyzing the different parts of the music instead of focusing on my studies.

Though it's still a favorite of mine now, I don't play it on the piano much. It's hard to get even 10 minutes of practice in when tots come and want to play too. It's all good - just different. For now my role is to help them appreciate this fine music.

The Mozart Effect is an interesting idea to read about as well. "A set of research results that indicate that listening to Mozart's music may induce a short-term improvement on the performance of certain kinds of mental tasks known as "spatio-temporal reasoning."

Anyhoo... I guess I just wanted Mr. Mozart and his fellow composer chums to know that we still remember them and their fine music... that we aren't drowning in pop music so much that we don't appreciate a good Sonatina or Minuet or Serenata or Symphony every once in a while.

If you're interested in some fresh classical.  On Itunes:
Mark Steinberg & Mitsuko Uchido: Mozart Sonatas for Piano and Violin 
Academy of St. Martin in the Field has some good quality recordings
Itunes Essentials has a variety of famous
{Mozart} tunes.

If you have any other favorite composers or classical tunes, please share.

1 comment:

April said...

I love it when people talk about what they appreciate- I mean- stuff like this- Mozart- Classical music- usually I am always reading about digital scrapbooking and how to make bread- and children- which is totally normal and fine- but this was interesting-

I actually go through classical music spurts- and sometimes I can't stand it and I have to turn it off or I will get a headache and other times it makes me cry.

Some music like Claire de lune actually speaks to me- It is like I can dig through feelings and sort through meanings of life when I listen to that song- Powerful- I don't care how popular it is or how over played it is- I just love it- and I want to learn how to play it someday on the piano- I compose and play my own stuff- I have a hard time sight reading- so that is a goal of mine-

thanks Heather for the post(s)