Thursday, August 14, 2008

Deep thoughts from Bill .. Bill Cosby that is.

Last night Jimmy was watching the Cosby Show and it reminded of all the funny moments like the zerberts (which my kids are completely addicted to) and all the laughs.

I realized I need to laugh more. I think I've always needed to lighten up and today was a sure indication of that. I have fun laughing moments with my kids occasionally but today I definitely didn't laugh enough (though I did chuckle when Max was gargling).

So here are my quotes for the day from Bill Cosby. (many of which I chose because obedience and patience were not abundant in our house today so parenting and discipline were on my mind.)

"Even though your kids will consistently do the exact opposite of what you're telling them to do, you have to keep loving them just as much."

"No matter how calmly you try to referee, parenting will eventually produce bizarre behavior, and I'm not talking about the kids. Their behavior is always normal."

"Nothing I've ever done has given me more joys and rewards than being a father to my children."

"People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what's bitter and move on."

"Parents are not interested in justice, they're interested in peace and quiet."


Wish me luck... I just got a call for us to speak in church on Sunday. So I'm teaching YW on Repentance and speaking about Charity and Fast offerings in Sacrament Meeting. Yikes for my vocal cords and emotions.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Those are great quotes! I love Bill Cosby. Oh, the good ol' days of the Cosby Show. Good luck on your marathon Sunday! Wow, won't you be glad when you get home from church - you'll deserve to sit down, put your feet up, and relax (and rest those vocal chords)! What a lucky ward you have to get to hear from you!

Lexie said...

Thanks for the bit of parenting inspiration.....I haven't ever been much of a T.V. watcher but I did really enjoy the Cosby show. I wouldn't mind seeing that again now that I am a parent! Good luck on the lesson and talk.

Amy D. said...

Wow, what a day for you, Heath! Hope it went well. Bill Cosby has some great insights :)

Andrea said...

I'm out of the loop with blog reading these days. Your blog makes me smile and I thought it was about time to stop by. I LOVED the Bill Cosby quotes. We saw him a few years ago in SLC and it was a great night. I might have to steal your quote and put it on my blog to remind me to laugh a little more. Thanks for sharing!