Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A message from an angel - Be Strong

Nine years ago today on September 30, 1999, my Grandma Ruth Nelson passed away from pancreatic cancer. She was a cheerful quaker duck (my grandpa's nick-name for her). I love and miss her.

The other day when I was sorting through books, I came across '101 famous poems' book that belonged to my Grandma.

She had 2 bookmarks in the book. One was a $2 bill on the poem Keep a-Goin' by Frank L. Stanton. I love that poem.

The other white bookmark was marking the poem 'Be Strong' by Maltbie Davenport Babcock:

     Be strong!
We are not here to play, to dream, to drift;
We have hard work to do and loads to lift;
Shun not the struggle - face it; 'tis God's gift.

     Be strong!
Say not, "The days are evil. Who's to blame?"
And fold the hands and acquiesce - oh shame!
Stand up, speak out, and bravely, in God's name.

     Be strong!
It matters not how deep intrenched the wrong,
How hard the battle goes, the day how long;
Faint not - fight on! To-morrow comes the song.


We love you Grandma Ruth!  Thanks for your wonderful example.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Oh such a great message from your angel grandma! Thanks for sharing!

Mary said...

Oh, Grandma Ruth! We miss her so much!!!

Amy D. said...

Brilliant poems to exemplify Grandma Ruth! Thanks for sharing this memory/post, Heath!

Julie said...

What a great post. I miss Grandma so much. She is a wonderful person. Thanks for the memory and the poems.