Thursday, May 08, 2008

Let's talk Paint

I don't know if it really works to have conversations via blogging, but I love getting ideas from everyone. Thanks for the laundry ideas. I'm thinking if I can have a central place to at least group colors, then I'll know when that one can be washed. I despise having laundry in different rooms because I don't realize when I have a full batch...anyhoo, moving on...

I've never painted and I really want to conquer the pasty white walls in our new house. But I'm nervous about what colors to select. I don't want to pay oodles and waste time painting over. So we've got to get it right the first time.

I'm not sure of the rules of painting... like which wall do you paint the accent wall?

Or in a bedroom do you just paint all the walls the same color?

I don't want to blow us away with a rainbow of color. And I think I'm going to do it all Satin so it is semi-cleanable.

I'm going for classy and calm but fun... can I have all that?

I'm thinking a neutral tan (not peachish, not greyish, not yellowish, not greenish - JUST PLAIN brownish) for the downstairs... with maybe a darker accent wall.

For Hannah's room I think I might do a green kind of like Carol did in Christi's room. And then we could put pink and yellow accents with it since her bedspread is multi-bright-colored.

For Max's room, I want to do one wall a deep greenish (like more of a yellowish hue than a bluish hue) with maybe tan on the other walls.

For Abe's room, a medium/dark blue accent wall with either white or tan walls.

And our bedroom... oh, i have dreams for my bedroom. But I'm not sure that they'll come true because that would require purchasing new bedding and a new bed frame. Right now I have red/green/cream (because it went with the already green room in TN). And the color I think would be calm and classy is light-bluish-steelish to go with tan walls and dark wood.

As for the laundry room, I think I want it happy so that I'll want to go in there. Should I go blue like this photo? Or pale banana cream? I'd love to put the same dark cabinets that are in my kitchen above the washer/dryer... but that's not our top priority right now.

So here's the question... Do you have any colors or brand of paint that you love? Please share what brand of paint and what shades if you know them.

We were thinking of buying the paint from Home Depot and using Behr paint (not the cheapest but the next one up). We are buying coupons on Ebay to use at Home Depot and Lowe's for our move. Lowe's has a 10$ off a 25$ purchase, and Home Depot has some 10% off ones. (Marne said each store will accept the other's coupons so that might work to buy the paint at Home Depot and use the Lowe's coupon and just buy $25 at a time to save 40%) And I know we'll get a few free ones because we are moving so we are going to make small purchases to save moolah!

Anyhoo... please share any ideas you have about painting and color selection.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't know much about painting, but I do love my YELLOW laundry room. I have always wanted a yellow laundry room, and it is so bright and fun. The cupboards are a reallly dark and I love the contrast. The yellow is kind of light banana. you've got to come over to see!

Marne said...

I love to paint! I have painted almost every room in my house, and am doing the family room soon. That is the one room we didn't paint when we moved in.

The colors and choices you have picked sound great! One thing I like to do is look through magazines and even spend time at the paint store or wherever you are getting the paint, and get different chips and fliers on color selections. Then I bring them home. When I am painting a room of a fairly large size, I try to get a visual first of what it might look like. So, if you want to know what blue might look like, get something similar in color and drape, hang or put around the wall the paint will be on to get an idea.

One thing to remember about paint is that it always dries lighter. I made the mistake the first time I painted in picking too light of a yellow. It dried much lighter and I could hardly tell the difference between that wall and my cream/white wall it was next to.

One of my favorite colors is called Antique. It is from Lowe's, in their American Signature's paint. It is a very warm, lovely tan. It is the color you can see on my wall in my photo of the day for yesterday on the side of my messy desk in my bedroom. Another color I like is Khaki, same brand at Lowe's. It is a little different hue of tan, but I still really like it. That is the color all throughout my downstairs minus the accent wall. I can get you actual numbers if you want them.

I have to run and get ready for my personal training appointment, but I will get out some other paints and let you know. I did the boys room in a really nice blue and brick red. I totally copied Coralee on that. Upper part of the wall is white, chair rail is red, and bottom part is blue. They have bedspreads that match from Target. It sounds American-y, but it isn't. Really classy.

Anyhow, I will post more later. There is also an edger tool you HAVE to use....it eliminates taping! Saves tons of time!

Cheri said...

We've used lots of different paint brands over the years, and Behr is our favorite! They have a great website too (behr.com), that you can try out different colors on their room pictures. We also always go with a satin finish. I like to make sure my downstairs colors all coordinate, but I let the kids have fun with the upstairs bedroom and bathroom colors! Have fun!

Alison said...

Wow, everyone has such great ideas. It's so hard for me to pick paint colors because it seems to always look so different on the walls, and different again once carpet is in. We only painted one wall in the kids' rooms and I wish we would have painted all the walls. That's my only tip. I do like accent walls in kitchens/dining rooms, family rooms, etc. I can't wait to see what you pick and how it turns out!

Jenni Taysom said...

I did the Behr Banana Cream in my laundry room and I absolutely love it. To me it is just the right shade of yellow.
I don't like satin finish, we do semi gloss, but I noticed another comment said they do satin. I guess everyone has their own thought on that, but I did find satin harder to keep clean than I thought I would.
I agree with Ali that painting the whole room is the way to go. You could still have one wall with a complementary accent color, but all the other walls the same.
Last year I painted my bedroom (a lovely shade of blue, kinda like the bedding in your photo you posted), but at first I only did two walls. I went back - months later - and finished painting the rest of the walls.
If you see someones wall color that you like ask what color name it is rather than trying to find the right swatch at the paint store - it's impossible to find the right shade of what so and so had.
Have fun! Color is fabulous and although you don't want to have to redo things, it's only paint (and time and effort) and can be redone when you get tired of it.

Amy D. said...

I'm totally a novice at painting as we are doing some of the same--we like satin, though it is less cleanable than semi-gloss. I love the blue laundry room choice(ours here is some sort of yucky yellow and is in process of change...but the banana cream yellow sounds cheery). I love the color ideas you have for your kiddos. Go with those--you'll have lots of decorating options for all of them. I love your idea for your room (ditto on the wish to re-decorate the master BR with new bed and accessories--ah, we can dream).

Marne said...

Oh, I have found out that satin in the kitchen and dining is harder to clean. Semi-gloss in there would be easier.