Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Children's Book Week

Today I was thinking about a bunch of books I loved when I was little. And I found out that this week is Children's Book Week.

Last night I started reading Hans Brinker to Hannah. I'm excited to read this one because I don't remember the story. I haven't been very good about reading chapter books to the kids but Hannah really loves it so I want to make it a habit to read every night before bed.

We've read Heidi and Pollyanna in the past few months. Anne of Green Gables and Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm our on the list to read. All which seem to be about orphans... interesting! (All of these are Great Illustrated Classics simplified version with black/white photos.)

Here are some others that I will love reading to Hannah someday:

The Melendy Quartet (The Saturdays, The four-story mistake, Then there were five, Spiderweb for two) are stories about a family and all their funny situations.

The All-of-a-kind-family book series is about a Jewish family. I love these old-fasioned stories that focus on family!

And The Hundred Dresses is just one that I love.
A few others I want to read are Mouse and the Motorcyle series, Little House on the Prairie series, E.B. white books like Stuart Little, Trumpet of the Swan, Charlotte's web. I remember enjoying The Great Brain books too even those are more for boys. Any other great classic ones that you liked when you were little?

Happy reading to you!

2 comments:

Amy D. said...

You have EXCELLENT taste in kids books. It is an interesting phenomenon that so many classic kids books are about orphans. Do I even know any orphans? So it makes a good made up story. The Great Brain books are very cool. We haven't thought about those for awhile. Yea for Children's Book Week!

Lexie said...

Heather......thanks for some ideas on things to read with kids. Hallie and I read Charlottes Web to Nathan this winter and he really liked it. We had a nice edition with the illustrations by Garth Willaims (who is my favorite childrens illustrator). Right now I have started reading "Half Magic" by Edward Eager to Nathan. Sometimes I wonder if he is listening but then he asks for more. I also just bought 4 of E. Nesbit's books that we are going to try.....I don't know if Nate will like them yet but I am hoping Hallie and I will. I haven't ever read anything by her but am hearing they are good books. Thanks for sharing a love of great books! :)