Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Potty Training for Boys

Okay friends, I'm gearing up to potty train Abe. He needs to be potty trained by August or he can't go to preschool. He keeps getting so excited about Lightning McQueen pullups at the store until I tell him that he has to go in the potty to get them and then he puts them back on the shelf. He is too big for the little stand-alone potty. So I'm guessing we'll just have to get a little seat for the real pot. So - any ideas on training boys?? I really need to gear myself up for this as I don't want it to become a big battle with my stubborn almost 3-year-old. Help!!!

4 comments:

Jan said...

Heather, I wish I could help you. I need help myself. Ethan will only go potty if I tell him to, he never tells me when he needs to go. I am hoping to get serious and get him potty trained by July. This is my goal anyway. Good luck to both of us.

Alison said...

Hi Heath,
I so need to potty train Porter too. Everytime I ask him if he wants to try the potty he says, "No I'm still little." He just doesn't have any interest in being potty trained. Kyler was super easy to potty train when he was 3. He just went in the big potty with no little seat or anything, just a little stool so he could stand up on it and then sit on the potty. (We waited until he could go sitting down and then when he was a little taller he started going standing up.) Anyhow, huge long answer. Good luck to you, Jan, and myself! Potty training is so not my favorite thing!

Angie said...

Hi Heather- I have never done potty-training, but some girls in my ward have, and they swear by this book called "Toilet Training in Less than a Day" by Nathan H Azrin PHD and Richard M Foxx PHD. I have heard it takes a lot of work but it seems to work. Good Luck!

Amy D. said...

Well, I say you will need help!! Potty training was different with each of our kids (need I say Mae was a breeze?!), and it was the toughest with the boys. I have not battled anything like that, like I did with Owen! And knowing me and knowing him, I'm not willing to do it for his thumb sucking...I'm just not(yet).